Ba Futuru is a leading national not-for-profit organisation with more than 50 staff and volunteers from throughout Timor-Leste and the world. Our name ‘Ba Futuru’, in the local language Tetun, means ‘For the Future.’
Since founding in 2004, Ba Futuru has provided life-enhancing programming to more than 40,000 children, young people, women, parents, teachers, community leaders, police, government and other key community actors. We specialise in peace building, gender empowerment, child protection education, teaching approaches and conflict transformation.
Ba Futuru has made significant progress in stopping violence through empowering people across Timor-Leste with conflict mitigation skills, positive discipline strategies, protection information and human rights awareness. Ba Futuru’s staff are renowned for their quality training skills and effective behavior change communication strategies.
To create a Timor-Leste free of violence, where all citizens, especially women, children and young people, can engage meaningfully in the country’s development in a peaceful, positive and productive way.
To build a peaceful, positive and productive Timor-Leste through using innovative approaches that will:
- protect children
- reduce violence
- empower women
- inspire young learners
- Using interactive, collaborative, human rights based approaches and training models.
- Using the arts (including visual arts, drama, theatre and film) as a medium for transformation and a tool of engagement.
- Using media and dynamic learning materials.
- Creating public events.
- Strengthening effective community leadership.
- Seeking innovative ways to enable participation and embed change.
- Delivering programs based on research, learning and evidence.
- Pursuing targeted advocacy and policy development.
- Building strong partnerships locally, nationally and internationally.
- Ensuring empowerment is central to all our efforts.
In 2013 we received the International Outstanding Leadership Award in Conflict Resolution from the Association for Conflict Resolution in the United States.
In 2013 we were granted the prestigious STARS Foundation Runner Up Award for Protection in Asia.
In 2012 we were the winner of the Maya Ajmera Sustainability Award from the Global Fund for Children.
In 2011 we were awarded the STARS Foundation Rising Star of Asia Award.
- Non Violence
- Gender equality
- Mutual learning
Our Annual Events
Ba Futuru’s Fundraising Gala 2016